Read this article to learn:
- How passive infrastructure must be upgraded for 5G to accommodate incremental weight and power
- Beyond passive infrastructure: cloud RAN, SDN, virtualised network functions, network slicing, transmission upgrades and digital transformations in IT
- Roles for government, regulators and municipalities in 5G
- Who should fiberize towers? And how does ROI in fibre compare to ROI in towers?
- Opportunities for towercos and infracos in edge computing, IBS and IoT
Overlaying 5G radio equipment at the ~20,000 cell sites operated by a typical MNO in the UK, Italy or France would cost an estimated US$1.25bn per operator, per country, and that’s before one considers the costs of densification, indoor coverage, edge computing and upgrading the core network. The telecommunications industry will need to access long-term,…