Read this article to learn:
- How much wind resource is needed to power a cell site with a 1.5-4.5 kW load?
- How to easily find out the wind resource available at a given location
- Experiences from the successful use of Bergey wind turbines at 55 Safaricom sites
- Robust wind turbines lasting 30+ years versus low cost solutions that might last 2 years
- Up front capex versus lease models
In the 1970’s, Karl Bergey, an aircraft designer-turned Professor of Aeronautical Engineering at the University of Oklahoma, was conducting feasibility studies looking at wind power. When the oil embargo hit the US, Karl was tagged as an alternate energy expert. Meanwhile, son Mike Bergey was studying Mechanical Engineering and leading a team that won the…